Kinesio Taping and Tape ~ Questions and Answers
1. Where did the word "Kinesio" come from?
The name comes from the science of kinesiology, because the taping method and tape
allow the body and muscles to move while it assists in rehabilitation.
2. What does Kinesio Taping do?
Kinesio Taping Method is applied to muscles to reduce pain & inflammation, relax
overused tired muscles, and to support muscles in movement on a 24hr/day basis. It is
not a restrictive type of taping, and allows for a full range of motion. In contrast, traditional
sports' taping is wrapped around a joint strictly for stabilization and support during a
sporting event. Kinesio tape is used for anything from headaches to foot problems and
every thing in-between. Examples include; Carpel Tunnel syndrome, low back pain/strain
(subluxations, herniated disc), knee conditions, shoulder conditions, and sports injuries,
3. Why is Kinesio Tape so much more than other tapes?
It has a number of benefits that are not achievable with other tapes
- 100% High Grade Cotton- for comfort and breathing
- 140% Elastic- same flexibility as human skin and muscles
- Heat Activated Adhesive- although very light, mild and hyper- allergenic
- Latex Free
- Air Circulating Waves- to channel out sweat and water and enhance skin
- Durable- average usage 3-4 days per application
- More Economical- usually 6-7 applications/ roll of tape
Without a doubt, the technique is the most unique, however, the full benefits were not
possible until Kinesio tape was developed. The taping method requires a tape that is
patient and skin friendly, possesses optimum elastic qualities, the same thickness as the
skin, and is durable enough to stay on multiple days even through sweat and showers.
5. How is the tape applied?
Without getting too technical, the tape is applied over the effected area with muscles in a
stretch position. Then the tape is applied from one end of the muscle to the other with
very little to no stretch of the tape.
6. What are the concerns or difficulties with Kinesio Taping (Trouble shooting)?
- Skin needs to be free of oil or lotion prior to application
- After application rub down tape to activate heat sensitive glue
- Avoid extreme stretching of tape during application to avoid skin irritation
- Apply approx. 1 hr prior to activity or shower to allow glue to adhere properly
- Skin irritation is extremely rare, but special care should be taken with hypersensitive skin